CHECK OUT THE NEIGHBORGOODIES THEME SONG!


By Wrapping Paper of St. Paul, Minnesota! Thanks, Tim!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Food for Thought

While waiting for the elevator, I discovered this gem on the NeighborGoodies Table:

At first glance, I was under the impression that Food... For Thought was a recipe book until I noticed the cover describing it as "A Collection of Words To Cherish" (I'm on a diet, so currently, everything is about food.)

As I thumbed through this Chicken Soup for the Soul ripoff, I was exposed to quotes from people such as Walt Whitman and Ralph Waldo Emerson... as well as this classic prayer...

...submitted by Geri Jewell.

For those of you who didn't grow up watching every sitcom ever, Geri Jewell played Blair Warner's "Cousin Geri" on the Facts of Life. (see the episode here!) Cousin Geri showed up to Eastland where Blair and her friends go to school. As she stumbles in, it is clear that the girls think that she is wasted, until Cousin Geri reveals that she has Cerebral Palsy... although she is wearing this t-shirt:


It says "I don't have cerebral palsy, I'm just drunk." She then vomits on them and demands some rum. Talk about mixed messages.

According to Cousin Geri's website, she was the first character with a disability to have a regular series role on a prime time series. I imagine it was through her television work that Cousin Geri met the author of Food...For Thought, Fern Field Brooks, who happens to have produced everything from Maude to Monk to Mr. Wizard's World.

Fern graciously offers copies of this book for the random price of $8.45 out of what seems to be her house. Or, you can check out the website, which leads you to a page that is almost entirely in Japanese. If you click around enough, you'll end up on pages with photos from a Japanese McDonald's, where the person seems to have ordered only burger buns and fries, which they combine into their own McFry sandwich:

Or this one, where they make a cheeseburger with over a dozen patties:


Or this one, where they make wall art out of the fry containers:


I'm not sure what sort of Thought Fern meant this Food to give us, but it does make me wonder if this is some new sitcom that Fern is working on (possibly entitled "Fast Food For Thought"). If so, I will set my Tivo it immediately.




1 comment:

ABBY L WILSON said...

Also? Geri Jewell was most recently seen on the HBO series Deadwood. Actually, you can still see them because HBO is still showing the reruns. And she is funny.